Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Is a Picture Worth a Thousand Words?

While flipping through my new copy of Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, I was reminded of a recent Yarn Harlot post about charts vs. words. She prefers knitting from charts because she can more easily tell when she makes a mistake.

I taught myself to knit many years ago from a Learn to Knit book, which I no longer have. The book only had descriptions, some photos to illustrate stitches and definitions for stitch abbreviations. So I am used to reading patterns that uses those abbreviations, and never cared for charts. Word patterns appeals to the part of me that likes to do crossword puzzles. When I can make sense of the pattern, I feel like I've cracked a secret code. I've avoided patterns that are only charts. They seem much more confusing to me.

After seeing how charts are presented and explained in Sensational Socks, I see that it's not as difficult as I thought. Schurch's instructions for variations on basic sock construction appear to be very detailed. And she uses photos, words and charts to illustrate and describe the many pattern variations included. They all look really interesting and fun and I can't wait to try them.

When you knit, what do you prefer -- a chart or words?

I treated myself to the sock book and an Indian cookbook because I recently discovered a B&N gift card I forgot I had. I don't remember who gave it to me. I think it was from a Christmas exchange at work. I'm sure I properly thanked the person at the time. Even though I don't remember who you are, thanks again!

No comments: