Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Renewed Hope for an old UFO

A while ago, I wrote about the potential for saving UFOs. One of the posts was about a kit I bought while on a trip to Paris. After stitching about a quarter of the design I realized that the fabric wasn't big enough. So, the piece was cast aside, never to be touched again. Well, on my recent trip to Paris, I had an "aha!" moment. Of course, a visit to Les Bonheur des Dames, one of my favorite places in Paris and where I bought the kit two years ago, was on the top of my list of things to do. Located under the archways of Le Viaduc des Arts on Avenue Daumesnil, the shop is spacious and carries many wonderful designs. I was particularly tempted by their tablecloth kits, but given the cost and the exchange rate, I resisted. (I happen to have a kit with that cup design that I could potentially use for a tablecloth. So many designs, not enough time...) Of course, I didn't resist everything that caught by eye. I bought a few things that will be gifts for friends throughout the year. For myself, I picked up Madame La Chef. It came packaged in a plastic egg with a whisk charm that was too cute to resist . . . and it was on sale. How could I pass it up?

Another wonderful thing about the shop is that they have tons of stitched models hanging on the walls. And the vaulted ceiling gives them loads of space for that. So I take my purchases to the cash register, and while the saleswoman is ringing everything up, I'm admiring all the models. Now, for the aha moment. Right behind the register are models of the seasonal designs of which Juillet, my abandoned piece, is one. Lo and behold, it hits me. They are all done over one. I'm sure you've guessed by now that I was stitching my kit over two. Of course, when I got home, I pulled out the kit. Right on the front it says "petit point," which of course, means stitch over one thread. What a silly mistake on my part. Oh well, c'est la vie. Now having seen those models and realizing my mistake makes me want to try again with this design. And I'm sure I can find a piece of fabric somewhere in my stash, ya think?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

It's the details that get you every time, right? Madame La Chef is adorable and definitely didn't need to be left behind!