Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Can This Project Be Saved?

What stitcher hasn't experienced that rush of excitement when starting a new project? You gather the fabric, fibers and embellishments needed, and you settle into your favorite stitching spot to make those first stitches. But that level of attraction and excitement often can’t be sustained. With some projects, you find a comfortable rhythm, putting in the needed time and attention that keeps it on track and fulfilling. Other times, it gets too difficult and demanding. Progress you were making is wiped out by a moment of carelessness and miscounting. Your interest wanes, and soon you cast the project aside and take up with another. In this four-part series, we’ll take a look at why projects turn into UFOs. We’ll hear from both stitcher and UFO, and find out, with the help of a UFO therapist, whether there can be a happy ending or will the project remain forever a UFO.

Part I
: “It was only a summer fling.”

The Stitcher’s turn:

I first spotted Juillet in Le Bonheur des Dames in Paris. It was July, 2004, and I was on a business trip. I was taking a couple of days to enjoy the city before the business part of the trip began. The hotel where I was staying was only a short distance from the shop, so I decided to have a look around. The red poppies instantly caught my eye. It had been a long time since I worked on a floral design and had been thinking about picking one out. The fact that Juillet was a kit with linen and DMC was also in its favor. I left with it that day, brought it home to Brooklyn and started it as soon as I could.

It was going along really well. I was enjoying the blues, greens, and of course, the red poppies. I had been working on the right half of the design and when I reached the poppies at the bottom, it suddenly struck me. There wasn’t enough fabric. I was so disappointed. I tried to tell myself to continue on. It didn’t matter. Adjust the bottom. But it just didn’t seem worth it. I knew it was just a summer fling, so I put it away.

The UFO's turn:

Is it my fault that she didn’t measure the fabric before she started? It didn’t have to be this way. She could have substituted different fabric. She does it all the time. She still could. Eh, Americans. What can you expect? They are so fickle.

The UFO Therapist’s turn:

The stitcher was experienced enough at the time to realize that kits can sometimes be unreliable. She definitely should have measured the fabric before starting. The kit did cost 16 euros. It seems a shame not to try again. It wouldn’t really cost anything since the stitcher can substitute some linen or evenweave and replace the used DMC from her stash. But given the stitcher’s lack of interest and the amount of time that has passed, there doesn’t seem to be much hope for this project.

Next week -- Part II: "I can't stand the constant flirting with newer projects."


Note: I got the idea to write a satirical post about unfinished projects from I Help You Blog's 101 Great Posting Ideas for Your Blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I'm not sure I agree with the UFO therapist. After all, why should the project be punished (by not being stitched) because the stitcher can't be bothered?And the worst part? This French piece has been abandoned in a foreign country!

Cheryl said...

I enjoyed your post!! Ive never had a problem with kits but in the event of any future purchases i may just measure the fabric , just in case!!

Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem with No Bees No Honey (though I didn't actually run OUT of room, but it's not centered.) I think we stitchers should bring these UFOs to a meeting and swap them. Working on another's UFO is more fun than working on one's own!
Alison