Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Socks: Finished and WIPs

Introducing....my first pair of knitted socks. These are the Eiffel Tower socks from the first Brooklyn Sock Knit-a-long, finished about 3 weeks ago. Yarn: Shelridge Farms Soft Touch 100% Wool Ultra Fingering Weight in Pumpkin Started: June
Finished:
September
Loved knitting with this wool and the Eiffel Tower pattern was fun to work on.

Alison has finished one sock in her pair, which uses the same yarn but in Azure. While we were stitching, I often commented on her nice, even stitches. I seem to knit loosely, especially with yarnovers, so my Eiffel Towers aren't as well defined as hers, in my opinion.



















Second Brooklyn Sock Knit-a-long -- MacGiver style

We've also begun the second KAL. I chose the Elongated Corded Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. We're using Shibuiknits sock yarn. Mine are in Earth and Alison's are in Stone. It's quite soft and the colors are wonderful. I'm definitely going to use more of this.

We working toe-up with short row toes and heels. I considered turning the heel with a flap and gusset. But after trying the "class sock" in The Sensational Knitted Socks book, I decided against it. I understand the theory of picking up stitches for the gusset, but I couldn't execute it very well. I like short rows, so I'm sticking with that for now.

Now, why the MacGiver reference? Alison taught me a cast-on method using a crochet hook. When we got together to start this KAL, I couldn't find either of my crochet hooks. (I was going through a "can't find anything" phase; it's calmed down for now.) Ever resourceful, Alison suggested bending a paper clip into a hook and using that. Voila! It worked. I dubbed it MacGiver knitting since the problem was solved using an ordinary item. She also uncovered my crochet hooks; I had used them as bookmarks in the sock book.

Also on my needles...

I started another pair of socks using
Crystal Palace Panda Bamboo Wool
in Seascape. Another soft, delicious yarn to work with. The pattern is Slipped Stitch Rib, also from Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a very easy pattern.


1 comment:

May said...

nice!!!! congrats on your first finished socks! I'm really happy for you.
and look at you, two more on the needles. someone's so hooked!