Sunday, February 25, 2007

One-pot meals

I'm a fan of recipes that are easy, taste great and use a minimum of pots. Zuppa Osso Buco definitely fits the bill. While I was flipping through channels yesterday, I came across Rachel Ray preparing this meal, and decided to try it today. It doesn't take long to prepare or cook. The result it a hearty, flavorful meal. I used a mixture of ground beef, pork and veal for the dumplings, which Rachel recommended on the show. Since I like anchovies and garlic, I added the gremolata as suggested. It gives the dish a fresh, tangy spark.

Making a big pot of this works great. I can portion it out to have for lunch or dinner a couple of times this week and freeze the rest for future meals. I've been trying to keep my freezer stocked with prepared meals that I can heat up when I get home after work. It helps me eat better and is more economical.

Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Great to see your blog, Cynthia! I look forward to much more reading. I'll have to check out that recipe, it sounds great. I like to cook something on the weekends too and have it left-over (didn't happen this time though!)

May said...

Love Osso Buco, I'm sure this will be good too. I'll take a look.

Marci said...

Great to see you in blog land... still waiting for pics, though! (camera there yet?)

We love Rachel Ray - although 30 minute meals aren't exactly 30 minutes. :) Have to check out this recipe when I get a change. Her lemon-rosemary-garlic chicken is one of my fall back dinners when I can't think of anything else to make.